Did you know there was a smaller "lighthouse" in addition to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse?
Established in 1855, the Beacon Light was part of the Cape Hatteras Light Station that was located about a ½ mile from Cape Point. This fixed white light could be seen up to 9 nautical miles and had to be moved several times due to its exposure to the sea. The Beacon itself was a small square building consisting of just a lantern light and fuel house that was operated by the Third Assistant Keeper. Little is known about the Beacon Light or what happened to it. It is suggested that in 1898 the Beacon Light was finally lost to the sea. The keepers were able to salvage the lamp and other items. The Beacon Light was replaced with a post light, which was larger and brighter, at the point. No trace of the Beacon Light is left today.
As a reminder, the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is hosting its annual Winter Climb on Saturday from 10am - 2pm.
Photo: US Lighthouse Service